"Today we are faced with a challenge that calls for a shift in our thinking, so that humanity stops threatening its life support system. We are called to assist the Earth to heal her wounds and in the process, heal our own."
- Wangari Maathai

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

H. Pylori

OK, I know that I have not posted anything for ages and I do have reasons for being so lax.  Firstly, I have been sick and secondly, I have had major problems with network coverage.  Living in SA makes connecting to the net a challenge in itself but when you add the fact that the network I was using had barely any coverage where I live made it virtually impossible.  Anyway, we have now changed to another provider and there is a huge improvement.

The doctor discovered that I had a high infection of this thing called Helicobacter Pylori.  It was horrible and made me quite sick.  H.Pylori is also known to cause ulcers and stomach cancer.  Fortunately, provided there is no resistance to antibiotics, it can be eradicated.  It is necessary to take two different types of antibiotics together with other medication which neutralises stomach acid.  I have just had a look on the net to see how other people experienced symptoms and I was shocked to see what some people went through.  The symptoms are so diverse it is difficult to pinpoint without a blood or stool test.  The symptoms include back pain, nausea, vomiting constipation or diarrhoea, abdominal pain, indigestion and burping.  My advise to anyone is this:  if you are experiencing any weird abdominal symptoms that do not go away (some poor people suffered for years before they were diagnosed correctly)  get your doctor to test you for Helicobacter Pylori and, if you have it, get it treated pronto. 

Well, I just got over that little lot and then I got a lung infection.  It was not bad enough to warrant more antibiotics so I have just weathered this on my own.  I have read that taking antibiotics indiscriminately leads to antibiotic resistance of goggas (like H.Pylori) and then when you really need the antibiotic, it does not work.  So if I can fight things off without medication that is the route I am taking!  It might take longer but it will make me stronger.

Diana