"Today we are faced with a challenge that calls for a shift in our thinking, so that humanity stops threatening its life support system. We are called to assist the Earth to heal her wounds and in the process, heal our own."
- Wangari Maathai

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Slow down and keep at it

Today is Day 7.  I have tried to get one of those widget things onto this blog without any success.  I managed to make the thing but how to publish it here when it is somewhere else is a mystery!  I still cannot get my picture up either.  One day I will get the newly created countdowner and I won't have to keep on saying this is Day ---!

The scale told me that I weighed 65.1kg this morning.  Sure - I'll take that with a pinch of salt.  Considering the fact that water weighs so much I could theoretically gain or lose half a kilogram overnight and it would be nothing but a change in hydration levels.  Ho-hum, just stick to the plan and do not be distracted by minor details.

When I first started walking,  I was walking about 3 to 6 km per week.  This week I walked/ran 93.6kms!  My slogan is:  Slower, further, longer.  In the beginning I kept it slow, walked further distances and spent more and more time exercising.  I did not care that I went as slowly as a snail, I just did it every day.

Now that I have improved basic health, fitness and endurance levels I notice that I go a little faster every day but I still only stick to what is comfortable.  Every now and then I cannot stop myself from running over the limits for short bursts just for the sheer joy of it.  Small pushes when exercising regularly are good to improve aerobic fitness but I still do not overdo it and the result is that I never have stiff, lactic acid filled muscles that are too sore to move. 

Every now and then, on my daily walk/run I see the odd person on an exercise 'spurt'.  I know that they are on a spurt because they usually appear on the road the day after some holiday, they are overweight, breathless, going much too fast and I never see them again.  Exercise for these people must be agony, I want to tell them to SLOW DOWN and that gently does it but I don't suppose they would listen to me. A pity that, they would end up enjoying exercise. 

Diana Elsmere