"Today we are faced with a challenge that calls for a shift in our thinking, so that humanity stops threatening its life support system. We are called to assist the Earth to heal her wounds and in the process, heal our own."
- Wangari Maathai

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

An accidental exerciser.

If my scale was in one of those animated movies, it would have had a terrified face on as I approached it this morning.  It was so lucky that I had lost some of the weight I had gained yesterday.  My weight is now 66.1kg.  I weigh more now than when I started 3 days ago but at least it's less than yesterday!

How did all this begin?  It all started the moment I stepped outside, a couple of years ago, to walk the dogs (they are the ones that needed the exercise).  Slowly, I lost weight and became fitter.  I lost so much weight that people who had not seen me in a while would screech and yell out the fact in these high pitched,  astonished voices.  I began to think that I must have been enormous but don't ask me how much I weighed back then because in those days I would not even weigh myself.  I can tell you though that I have dropped 3 dress sizes since.  I have a picture, taken in July 2006, of me and a baby elephant and the only difference between the elephant and me is that I am wearing a purple top!   

I am an accidental exerciser.  I was fat, unfit and unhealthy.  I needed to do something about it but I didn't.   Walking the dogs was the first reason I stepped outside; so I started exercising by default and I can't claim any credit for it. 

When I think about it, it really is pretty wonderful ...

Diana Elsmere