"Today we are faced with a challenge that calls for a shift in our thinking, so that humanity stops threatening its life support system. We are called to assist the Earth to heal her wounds and in the process, heal our own."
- Wangari Maathai

Sunday, January 31, 2010

The current challenge

I am not a competitive person by any means and the fact that this whole business has evolved into a challenge, albeit to myself, is a bit of a mystery to me. Anyway, my own doubts, dissatisfaction and struggles might encourage/inspire some other woman who is fat, unfit and over fifty. Believe me, if I can do this, anyone can!


My current challenge is to lose 9kg (19.8lbs) of body FAT (I do not want to lose muscles, bones or any other body parts) in 278 days.

This is how I worked it out: there are 3500 calories in 1lb of body weight. This equates to me having to create a deficit of 69,300 calories. My plan is to aim for a daily deficit of 500 calories (about 250 through exercise and 250 through diet). To build up the deficit should take about 139 days which I am doubling to 278 (this allows for mishaps and a reasonable maintenance period).

Tomorrow, 1 February 2010 is the first day of the challenge. Until then...


Diana Elsmere