"Today we are faced with a challenge that calls for a shift in our thinking, so that humanity stops threatening its life support system. We are called to assist the Earth to heal her wounds and in the process, heal our own."
- Wangari Maathai

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Self-effort

This is turning out to be such an interesting exercise.  I am amazed at how little I know about my body and what is going on inside it!  Noting and monitoring various results (like weight, measurements and how the body feels on a daily basis) is helping me become more aware of it, what it needs and what makes it feel good.  Considering that I have spent most of my life taking it for granted, this is certainly a big revelation for me. 

I would not recommend anyone weighing themselves every day unless they are totally focussed and determined because the daily weight fluctuations can be astounding.  I have fluctuated by over 1kg from one day to the next!  At first this used to really *&% me off but fortunately I managed to push through that without going on a major binge.  Looking back over the daily record is very satisfactory, even if I have to admit this myself.  The daily fluctuations iron themselves out and the general trend manifests itself over time.  So I am very pleased to say that the trend is downwards.  It is slow and steady.  No magic pill but then I realised a while ago that there are no magic pills.  It turns out to be all about self-effort; in spite of what those advertisers promise!

Diana Elsmere