"Today we are faced with a challenge that calls for a shift in our thinking, so that humanity stops threatening its life support system. We are called to assist the Earth to heal her wounds and in the process, heal our own."
- Wangari Maathai

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Protein, carbs and fat....

I got it wrong again!  The amount of protein should be about 1 gram for every pound of lean body mass.  So for me this works out to be about 100g of protein a day, not 140g!  On top of this counting of protein, carbohydrates and fat intake, it is important to do it all within the daily calorie intake required to lose weight.  So because I have upped my protein intake (and through this the fat intake increases as well) I have to adjust the carb intake in order to keep the daily calorie count correct. 

In order for me to lose weight (taking into consideration that I exercise 6 days a week) I have to consume about 1800 calories a day.   Through trial and error (because it is so different for everyone) I have to work out all that I am supposed to eat per day within the framework of calories and correct proportions (for me) of protein:carbs:fats.  It is far more complicated than I ever imagined and takes a lot of recording, noting results, adjusting and recording all over again.  It is complicated because, despite all those wonderful claims of wonder diets and wonder pills etc. the business of getting personal nutrition correct is totally individual and cannot be generalised.  What works for me, may not work for the next person. 

This is why it is so important to know your own body and the effects different foods have on you.  It is also vital to know exactly what you eat and record it.  I used to think recording everything was a waste of time until I started doing it.  I was flabbergasted at what the records told me - what I assumed/thought was very seldom an accurate picture.  It is exactly the same reason why a pedometer is necessary - it is a reality check and it stops us kidding ourselves.    

Proportions yesterday were:  Protein:  127.7g;  Carbohydrates:  78.7g;  Fat: 57.2g  This is not ideal as I think the carbohydrates are a bit low but I lost 0.8 kg in 24 hours!  This is probably mostly water so I am not getting too excited about it.  Training wise I did not experience the cramping of my quads in the last minutes of cardio so this is a good indication that my body is very grateful for the extra protein. 

Today I am going to reduce the protein down to about 100g and increase the carbohydrate intake because I think that it is too low and will show up as lack of energy if I don't correct it. 

Can't wait to see what happens!

Diana Elsmere